On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Donut Showdown - The Great Canadian Donut
- 20:30 - Donut Showdown - Harvest
- 21:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - Calabash, Chuck's Burger Bar, Sky Blue Sky
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus 20-30 mins marinating
- Cook time:
- 10 min
For a luxurious snack or starter try Reza Mahammad's wonderfully tasty deep-fried king prawns, coated in a piquant batter
Method1. Place the prawns in a bowl and season lightly with salt. Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric, 1 tsp chilli powder, black pepper, a few pinches of chopped fresh coriander and the dried mint and mix well. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, mix together the chick pea flour, water, saffron milk and lime juice into a smooth batter. Beat in the remaining coriander, remaining chilli powder and egg white and season with salt.
3. Heat the oil for deep-frying in a wok.
4. Once the oil is hot dip the prawns into the batter and add to the hot oil. Deep-fry the prawns, moving them around so they don't stick to the pan, until they brown on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and serve at once.
- 8 raw king prawns, peeled and de-veined
- a pinch of crushed garlic
- a pinch of crushed ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 tsp chilli powder
- a pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- a bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- a pinch of dried mint
- 200 g chickpea or gram flour, sifted
- 50 ml water
- 200 ml milk, infused with a pinch of ground saffron
- juice of 1 limes
- 1 egg, white
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying