On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Food and Drink - Angela Harnett - Italian Food
- 20:30 - Food and Drink - Rachel Khoo - Entertaining
- 21:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Bread
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min
From Tamasin Day Lewis, a creamy, mildly spiced bread sauce - the classic accompaniment to roast chicken
Method1. Put the onion in a saucepan with the milk. Add the nutmeg, bay leaf, pepper, cloves and enough fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs to not quite absorb the milk at first.
2. Bring very slowly to simmering point, then stir and simmer for 45 minutes adding more nutmeg and milk if needed.
3. If you like, add the cream at the end.
4. Remove the bay leaf and the cloves if you can find them.
5. Season to taste and serve hot.