On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On Ep 2
- 21:00 - Rick Stein's Spanish Christmas - Rick Stein's Spanish Christmas
- 22:00 - Two Fat Ladies: Xmas 1997 - Two Fat Ladies: Xmas 1997
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
- Makes about 300ml
From Tamasin Day Lewis, a classic velvety-smooth white sauce, deliciously fragrant with nutmeg
Method1. Scald the milk by bringing it just to the boil.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute, stirring.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the milk, whisking constantly, until absolutely smooth.
4. Return the pan to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time, until thickened.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer very gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring now and then.
6. Whisk in the nutmeg and seasoning.