On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 3
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 4
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 40 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs
For a hearty warming dish try Juliet Lawrence Wilson's tasty game casserole, served with delicious cheese dumplings
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180°C /Gas 4.
2. Toss the game in the flour then shake it to get rid of the excess flour.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a casserole dish. Fry the game in batches, browning on each side, then removing with a slotted spoon.
4. Pour the red wine into the casserole dish and heat through, scaping the pan with a wooden spoon to deglaze it.
5. Add the browned game to the wine. Add the stock and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onion until tender. Add the fried onion to the game mixture.
7. Cover the casserole and bake in the oven for 1 and a half hours.
8. Meanwhile, make the dumplings. In a mixing bowl mix together the flour, suet, Stilton and parsley. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
9. Make a well in the centre. Add a little water and, using a spoon, mix in the dry ingredients, adding more water as need to form a soft dough. Using wetted hands shape the dough into small dumplings.
10. Once the casserole has baked for 1 and a half hours add the potatoes, carrots and port wine. Top with the dumplings. Return to the oven and bake for a further 30 minutes until the dumplings have risen and the game is tender.
- 700 g stewing game meat, cut into cubes
- flour, for dusting
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 300 ml red wine
- 600 ml beef stock
- black pepper
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 large carrots, peeled and quartered
- 150 ml port
For the Stilton parsley dumplings:
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 75 g shredded suet
- 75 g stilton cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- black pepper
- water, for mixing