On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Fruit
- 21:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Breakfast
- 22:00 - MasterChef Australia - Masterchef Australia
- Prep time:
- 5 min
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Here's two handy recipes in one: a speedy stovetop version of rice pudding, plus a twist on classic poached pears.
Method1. Peel or half-peel the pears as desired. Place in a saucepan small enough to fit them snugly and cover with the grape juice.
2. Stir in the honey. Break the cinnamon stick and add it to the pan with the lemon rind. Bring to the boil over a high heat, then lower the heat, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes, turning the pears occasionally to ensure they cook evenly.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, bring the milk and vanilla pod to scalding point, making sure it does not boil over.
4. Remove the vanilla pod from the milk and stir in the rice and honey. Lower the heat right down and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, split the vanilla pod open with a small sharp knife and scrape the vanilla seeds into the milk. Stir to distribute evenly.
6. When the pears are tender, remove them from the heat. When the rice is cooked and the mixture is thick, remove it from the heat and stir in the cream, if using.
7. Divide the rice amongst serving bowls and top with a poached pear. Spoon a little of the pear poaching liquid over each dish and serve.