On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Georgia to Florida
- 21:00 - Jamie Does... - The French Pyrenees
- 22:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Arizona
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 15 min
Turkish spices add Mediterranean passion to this classic British dish
Method1. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Add the lamb and fry, stirring now and then, until the mince has cooked and browned. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Mix together the cumin, paprika, curry powder, cinnamon and turmeric with the chopped coriander, yoghurt and tomato puree.
3. Add the spice paste to the browned mince, mixing well. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the red wine and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the basil and chopped tomatoes, mixing well. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water until tender; drain and return to the pan. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
5. Heat the milk in a small pan and add to the drained potatoes. Add the butter and mash until smooth. Mix in the spring onions and 55g of grated Cheddar. Season with freshly ground pepper.
6. Transfer the spiced lamb to an ovenproof dish. Top with the mashed potato, spreading it evenly. Run a fork across the surface of the mashed potato to add texture. Sprinkle over the remaining Cheddar.
7. Bake the shepherd's pie for 45 minutes until golden-brown. Serve with a green or Greek salad as a side-dish.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 450 g minced lamb
- black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 4 tbsp chopped coriander
- 3 tbsp natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 50 ml red wine
- a small bunch of basil, torn
- 450 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 150 ml milk
- 25 g butter
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 115 g cheddar cheese, grated
- Greek salad or green salad, to serve