On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Chicken Tikka Masala
- 20:30 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Hamburger
- 21:00 - Rick Stein's Spain - Rick Stein's Spain (HD), 4
- Prep time:
- 50 min, plus rising
- Cook time:
- 20 min
- Makes about 15 rolls
Paul Hollywood's bread rolls are really special - the dough is kneaded with mouth-watering mixtures of mushroom and onion, stilton and walnut, roast potatoes and spinach
Method1. Blend the fresh yeast in 250ml of the warm water. If using dried yeast, dissolve the sugar in the water, then sprinkle in the dried yeast and set aside for 15 minutes until frothy. If using easy-blend yeast, add it directly to the flour.
2. Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Pour the yeast mixture, or the lukewarm water if using easy-blend yeast, into the centre. Stir to form a firm dough, adding more water if necessary, then knead roughly into a ball.
3. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and not sticky. Divide into three batches.
4. Knead into one batch the chopped mushrooms and onions; into another the flaked Stilton and the walnuts; and into the third the roast potatoes and spinach.
5. Divide into 80g portions and roll into balls. Place on baking sheets with plenty of space between them. Leave in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
7. Bake the rolls for 20 minutes or until they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- 25 g fresh yeast, ; or 2 tsp dried yeast plus 1 tsp sugar; or 1 sachet easy-blend yeast
- 250-300ml lukewarm water
- 500 g unbleached strong bread flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 75 g mushrooms, chopped
- 120 g onions, chopped
- 100 g stilton cheese, crumbled
- 120 g chopped walnuts
- 120 g roast potatoes, diced
- 50 g chopped spinach