Pan-fried scallops with sweet potato & christophene salad
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food - Portland, OR
- 20:30 - Man v. Food - Seattle
- 21:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland, 7
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Succulent scallops are served with Caribbean vegetables for a stylish and delicious starter
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 75 ml olive oil
- 15 g butter
- 2 slices of stale bread, grated into crumbs
- 1 christophene, cut into short, fine strips
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- black pepper
- 12 diver-caught scallops, shelled and cleaned
- freshly ground pimento
- juice of half a lemons
- a handful of mixed salad leaves
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Place the sweet potato in a pan of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the sweet potato is translucent. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
2. Heat 50ml olive oil in a frying pan. Fry the sweet potato over medium heat until they begin to brown. Add 15g butter and breadcrumbs and fry until the crumbs are crispy.
3. Mix together the christophene strips with the balsamic vinegar and mayonnaise. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Heat remaining olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Season scallops with pimento, salt and freshly ground pepper. Fry the scallops quickly, allowing 30 seconds to 1 minute per side. Add remaining butter and fry until it turns nut brown. Add lemon juice.
5. To assemble the dish place sweet potato in a ring on 4 serving dishes. Top each portion with christophene, 3 pan-fried scallops and a few salad leaves. Serve at once.