On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Secret Meat Business - English
- 20:30 - Secret Meat Business - Malaysian
- 21:00 - Secret Meat Business - Italian
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus 30 mins chilling (optional)
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Sophie Grigson's simple recipe for a traditional Welsh dish makes a great veggie snack, ideal for breakfast or brunch
Method1. Mix together 150g of the breadcrumbs in a bowl with the cheese, leek or spring onion, parsley, thyme and plenty of salt and freshly ground pepper, blending well.
2. Beat the eggs with the mustard. Set aside 2 tablespoons of this mixture and stir the remaining egg mixture into the breadcrumb mixture. If it seems a little dry add a touch of milk to help bind it together without making it sloppy.
3. Divide the mixture into eight and shape each portion into a sausage about 2.5cm thick. Put the reserved egg and mustard mixture into a shallow bowl and spread the remaining breadcrumbs onto a plate. One by one dip the sausages into the egg mixture and coat in the crumbs. If you have time, chill the sausages in the fridge for at least half an hour to firm up.
4. To fry the sausage, heat the butter or oil in the frying pan and fry the sausages briskly for about 5 minutes until brown, reduce the heat and fry for a further 3-4 minutes.
5. To grill, preheat the grill. Drizzle the sausages with a little melted butter or oil and grill the sausages under a pre-heated grill until well browned on all sides, turning frequently.
- 175-200g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 150 g Caerphilly cheese or lancashire cheese, crumbled or grated
- half a leek or 6 spring onions, very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- half tsp thyme, leaves only
- black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp English mustard or Dijon mustard
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 45 g butter or 3 tbsp sunflower oil